Wednesday, December 8, 2010

The Hipster: Gift Ideas

The last month or so I have been googling, etsying, browsing, and mall stalking for Christmas gift ideas. Mostly for my friends but for my family as well. This year is hard, mostly because I don't have a job and I no longer work for Barnes & Noble. Working at a book store made gifts easy, 'just buy them a book' was always my philosophy.

So this year I am being challenged. & because I have quite a lot of hipster friends I thought it might be helpful for others if I post my finding to my blog. For the next 16 days I will be posting gift ideas for any clueless parents, friends, or family members that might need some assistance. Also lucky for you these will all be cheap cheap cheap ideas because I am poor.


My first gift (& best if you ask me) is ETSY!
Now for those of you that have never heard of etsy.com here is the low down. Etsy is a site where regular people like you and me go to sell the items that they have collected over the years from thrift stores and garage sales or things that they have made. So needless to say there are A LOT of great unique and one-of-a-kind items on this site. Which if you didn't know are PERFECT for the average hipster.

Now no matter what kind of hipster you have in your life there will be something on this site for them. What makes this and even better option for a clueless parent is that if you go to the gift tab and allow Etsy to use their facebook app to help you (just follow the prompts) they will let you pick a fb friend that you want to buy a gift for and then use their 'likes' to personalize great gifts for them.

Note: this may sound too good to be true, it is not, I have used this app for many of my friends and it works every time! It even lets your choose a price range. This is the fastest and best option out there.

But stick around for my other gift suggestions, they will not let you down!

Here is the link to Etsy




Now if you are reading this and thinking to yourself: "How do I know my child or grandchild is a hipster?"

Well here are some signs:
Do they wear fake glasses?
Do they wear beanies?
Do they wear leather jackets or wind breakers layered with zip-hoodies?
Do they listen to records?
Are they ass holes about music selections?
Do they wear TOMS, Vans, combat boots, or oxfords?
Do they love Bob Dylan, Moressy, and/or The Beatles?

These are just the most basic signs of hipster-ness. There are also many different kinds of hipsters. If you read the list and are still not sure if it is a hipsters you are dealing with please, comment and I will give you more examples.

Until next time, good luck and God speed!


-S


No comments:

Post a Comment